14 June 2006

WFMW June 14

My headache protocol

I get headaches on a nearly daily basis. In fact, I've just been diagnosed with atypical migraine.

Here is my headache protocol that I use every time to nip these boogers in the bud. It doesn't always work, or work right away, but it gets me to a point where I can function, and that's something.

1. Drink a big glass of water or 2; wait about 10-15 minutes to see if it goes away. Many headaches have their root in dehydration, so I always do this to ensure that I'm not taking medicine for something that just needs water.

2. If possible, lay down and rest in a dark room for 15-20 minutes.

3. Sniff some lavendar essential oil. Something about this relaxes me and often helps relieve my headaches.

4. Take apple cider vinegar tablets. I don't know, but something about this also helps sometimes.

5. Now we are at the medicine point. Sometimes, er, usually, I have to take medicine to help, even though I don't like it. Usually by this point, it's a pounder, so I take 2 tylenol together with 2 aspirin, and I try to make sure to drink something caffeinated with it (aka Amy's mock Excedrin). This will normally do the trick.

6. In the rare case that the above protocols don't work, I will take 2 liquid-filled ibuprofen gel-caps about 2 hours after I've taken the mock Excedrin combo.

***NOTE*** I've been told by my doc, however, that as soon as I feel the migraine coming, I should take medicine and prevent a day of misery. Sometimes I'm not that smart, and sometimes I am. If it feels particularly bad, I have a prescription (Relpax) that I can take that will stop it dead in its tracks. I prefer to do things naturally, but this drug works and it works well, which is something that I've not found with any of my natural remedies. For the first time in years, I can be virtually pain-free when I want to be (meaning when I'm not trying to go days between taking the drug)!

8 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Those sound like some easy things to try. I have been fighting quite a few headaches--seemingly related to being 50 in the throws of menopause.

BTW, I copied your suggestions into my Evernote. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my WWFM

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Oh my goodness! I nearly posted a picture of IMITREX for my Works For Me Wednesday today! I woke up with a migraine as well...and was taking my life-saving tablet of Imitrex as I was thinking of what to post.

I appreciate that you want to take the more natural approach--but my dear blogging friend---there is nothing natural about a migraine! I have found, that as your Dr. recommends....the sooner I abort the pain...the more certain it goes away. It's, like, evil...the way it lingers...and grows....and just becomes relentless. You need to use the big guns with a migraine!

Thanks for the tips though--I will have to remember the water thing--you are so right--headaches can be a sign of dehydration.

Diane

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger the lizness said...

I'm sorry you have such a rough time with migraines. I usually only get a headache every few months, and I just take two rapid release tylenol and go to bed.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

I have had migraines since I was 19 (I'm now 42). I take Topamax daily to help prevent them. It's been a Godsend. What use to last 3 days or more lasts mere hours now. Best part...One of the side effects is weight loss.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

I find the excedrin migraine (or generic version) helps the mild migraines (if it can be called that.) If that and natural remedies don't work (for the monthly one, anyway) I keep a few codeine tablets. Imitrex is good but makes me dizzy. Sleep does not help.

I can't imagine every day, though.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Glass Half Full said...

Sorry about the headaches!! I have a friend that suffers terrible migraines, so I will pass the info on to her.

About the ABC Meme -- JOIN IN!! :)

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an article on this topic in "Above Rubies" this last month. One of the ladies started drinking large amounts of lemon water (1 lemon/2 quarts of water) 3 X a day in order to balance her pH (according to the article, a lot of headache sufferers are highly acidic - lemons help restore alkalinity). It was very interesting. I've been drinking the lemon water for a couple of weeks - and while I don't have migraines - I feel great.

I understand migraines are a whole different ball game, so I'm not trying to be foolish with my suggestion...just thought it might be something to check into. :)

Hope you are having a head-ache free day.

God bless.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I too suffer headaches on a frequent basis. Mine can get so bad and debilitating.

I have found that if I take 2 Ibuprofen when I feel it coming on it will help the majority of the time. Sometimes... well, they don't and I suffer through to the other side.

I might have to give a couple of these suggestions a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home