13 June 2006

Summer Reading Filch

So, I've read about the summer reading challenge at several blogs (I remember Good Soil, Quiet Life, and Well-mannered Frivolity in particular), but didn't sign up for it. I did, however, filch several interesting-sounding titles - ones that were outside my usual repertoire of reading. Boy, so far, I'm really glad that I did! :) So far, I've read The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim, which was very enjoyable to read, especially in the evenings before bed. The imagery is quite vivid and the descriptions rich enough to aid in peaceful dreams. The other book I've read is Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. While it is not a slapstick, laugh uproariously book, it was very amusing and I loved the tongue-in-cheek humor.

Next on the list is The Hawk and the Dove trilogy by Penelope Wilcock. I'm only a few pages into it, but I can already tell that I'm going to be hooked. The other one that I got from the library is by Elizabeth Gaskell, whom I saw on someone else's list. I just didn't get the same book that she is reading (which I can't remember). I'm reading North and South. The last book that I have for this round of library books is by Amitav Ghosh, The Glass Palace. The title and description intrigued me, so I picked it up. Hopefully I can get them all read before they need to be renewed, but no harm in doing so as it is free. I think I have about 10 books total that I'd like to read this summer, so we'll see if I can meet my personal reading challenge.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Oy, the migraines. I feel for you, although I certainly don't get them as often. I've finally decided the lost time isn't worth it after all these years and head straight for the Vicodin (which really isn't supposed to be all that helpful for migraines, but works for mine) - and keep at 'em every four hours, and they're usually gone in a day - and I can at least function...

My husband is constantly reminding us about the dehydration thing - and for regular headaches, he's almost always right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home